Re: [Chicken-users] some progress on zlib

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] some progress on zlib
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:11:50 -0500

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:17:57AM +0200, Felix wrote:
> Ports provide a simple interface for *normal*, no-frills
> use and integrate well with the rest of Scheme.

So maybe there is a lesson here. When choosing to implement an API for a
C library, implement as close as you possibly can to the C API, and then
build a higher-level interface(if applicable) on it that follows more
closely with how scheme would have done it and follows good common sense.

This way, it satisfies both groups of people who "just want it to work"
and those who want to do something special. In my experience, those
groups are divided 50-50.

> There is an example in the manual. If you have any further questions,
> please ask.

Thanks.

-pete