Re: [Chicken-users] why is make-executable-byte-vector restricted to x86

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] why is make-executable-byte-vector restricted to x86 Platforms
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:41:46 +0100

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:02:02 +0100, <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

I have just started playing with executable byte vectors and they seem
to work fine on an Apple ibook running linux. What problems restrict
them to x86 machines ?

Well, not really problems - just lack of experience on my side... ;-)

`make-executable-byte-vector' uses mprotect() internally (to give the
allocated memory executable permissions), and I'm not sure whether it is fully portable.

(If it is, will someone please tell me?)

Normally the byte-vector returned my `make-executable-byte-vector'
should not be executable on a normal UNIXish system. So unless they are (which I doubt), change line 48 of lolevel.scm by removing the `defined(__i386__)' and rebuild chicken.