Re: [Chicken-users] Cross compilation

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cross compilation
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:50:45 +0100

Chris Double wrote:

I'm using Chicken Scheme on a device that doesn't have a native GCC
compiler installed (a Zaurus PDA). Using the interpreter is fine but I'd
like to use the compiler as well. What are my options for cross
compilation using Chicken? Is there a way I can download eggs on my main
PC, cross compile them for the Zaurus and install them there?

That should be possible. I have no experience with cross-compilation,
but with the right set of csc-options, you can select the desired
compiler and linker, for example.
If you create a custom extension registry (by setting
the environment variable CHICKEN_REGISTRY), you can compile eggs
with cross-compilation tools into a separate registry. The current
CVS version of Chicken has new options for chicken-setup that
allow changing options (or adding new options) at the command line:

$ chicken-setup -options "-cc my-cross-compiler" myegg

Then you can move the whole registry directory to your target machine
(either to $prefix/share/chicken, ~/.chicken-registry, or another directory
if you set CHICKEN-REGISTRY on the target machine).

I haven't tried this, of course. But in principle, this should work.