[Chicken-users] Re: srfi-47

From: Daniel B. Faken
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: srfi-47
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:51:06 -0400 (EDT)

Felix,

  Thanks!  I'll test it out.

  By the way, a feature suggestion (noch einmal):
    * make the chicken_is_running variable available somehow
    * allow another Easy-FFI keyword and foreign-lambdaXXXX mode
    which checks if chicken is currently running (i.e. from some
    entry point or as main()) and invokes an *embedded* version
    of the C code if it isn't.
      (the idea for the FFI is something like the current "__callback"
    keyword).

  I suggest this because I'm using chicken in embedded mode, and
sometimes I can't tell if I'm calling *back* into chicken, or
*invoking* chicken (and calling the wrong one crashes things..).
  I currently address this by having two copies of each of my exported
functions: one via 'define-embedded' and one via 'define-external'.
They all check my own version of the 'chicken_is_running' variable.
Currently there are only three fns, but this becomes a problem with more.
Have I overlooked an existing solution?

  I think this would be generally useful, too.. and unify embedded
entry points with the FFI interface.

cheers, and thank you again,
Daniel Faken