Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Q: Installing extensions & Source code

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Q: Installing extensions & Source code
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:13:49 +0200

Ed Watkeys wrote:

On Sep 12, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Johannes Groedem wrote:

By the way, chicken-setup can download eggs for you (as of some recent
version), provided they're available from the Chicken homepage:

 $ chicken-setup loop

 The extension loop does not exists.
 Do you want to download it ? (yes/no) [yes]

I know that, but I'm not sure how I learned it. Does anyone have any interest in checking out the eggs documentation with an eye toward making it more useful to someone who has never used Chicken before?

From http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/index.html:

Installation:
Just enter

$ chicken-setup EXTENSIONNAME

This will download anything needed and compile and install the library. If your extension repository is placed at a location for which you don't have write permissions, then run chicken-setup as root. You can obtain the repository location by running chicken-setup -repository .

If you only want to download the extension and install it later, pass the
-fetch option to chicken-setup :

$ chicken-setup -fetch EXTENSIONNAME

By default the archive will be unpacked into a temporary directory (named EXTENSIONNAME.egg.dir ) and the directory will be removed if the installation completed successfully. To keep the extracted files add -keep to the options passed to chicken-setup .

For more information, enter

$ chicken-setup -help

(But I agree that this should perhaps be linked more "visible" from the main
page)

On a related note, the library documentation should really put a higher value on the contents of an extension than the SRFI it implements. And finding information on text formatting or basic IO is a pain to someone not fully indoctrinated in the Scheme religion because you don't know where to look. Is it a unit? Is it a built-in function? And some stuff doesn't seem to appear in the index, and of course the index is most useful when you know the name of a function that you're looking for.

Yes, that's right. It's kind of a goose hunt finding where exactly a particular
definition is hidden.
If there's anything missing in the index, please tell me, and I will try
to fix this (as far as me texinfo skills allow).

The Python online library documentation works pretty well in the respect: They have a big, detailed table of contents that lists library names and descriptions of what they are for, allowing me to browse or do a text search on the page. The Python library docs fall down when you want to know the syntax to "print", because it's a keyword, not a function, and you need to look in two or three places to find a satisfactory explanation of how to specify a file object destination.

You mean some kind of general cross-reference? Good idea.