Re: [Chicken-users] A more detailed plea for help with FFI...

From: Ed Watkeys
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A more detailed plea for help with FFI...
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:58:12 -0500

On Dec 15, 2004, at 2:23 PM, John Lenz wrote:
Do note that SWIG is not the magic bullet in any case, because when writing the SWIG wrapper you need to still tell SWIG about ownership... which functions own which pointers and so forth.

And that's the hard part. Everything else is just tedious.

Felix, is C_do_register_finalizer in 1.74 or still just in CVS (or darcs)?

I don't believe it is. I just tried it. This alone would be big win in terms of fighting source code bloat. No need to wrap C functions in Scheme procedures that do nothing but set a finalizer. But you're probably well aware of the benefits, since you suggested the function in the first place.

While I have you here, I was wondering if there might be a way to use SWIG to generate Chicken procedure names with characters other than [0-9A-Za-z-] in them. Specifically, I'd like to stick some colon in the names e.g. "data-type:operation-name". Is there a way to do this in SWIG?

Thanks,
Ed