Re: [Chicken-users] spiffy and the egg system

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] spiffy and the egg system
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:36:11 +0100

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:17:46 +0100, Sunnan <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm getting confused on spiffy. Is the egg still there? I think I
> might've gotten a "bad egg" - is it an extension, or is the
> documentation just out of date? I grep the *scm files for start-server
> but find nothing. (It also complained that it couldn't find noop - I
> defined it as a function that just returns #f.)

noop is pretty new, what Chicken version are you using?
Spiffy used to be an egg that compiled into an executable,
but now it's a library/extension, contained in a single file.
I recommend to upgrade to a newer Chicken version, remove
all traces of any spiffy already installed and fetch/install
it freshly.

> Yesterday I got start-server running (after doing (require-extension
> spiffy)) but today I just get
>
> "Error: bad argument count - received 1 but expected 0"
>
> Yesterday, when it ran, I also got a couple of:
>
> "thread thread1456 terminated with exception: can not compile regular
> expression: ("^([\\-A-Za-z0-9]+):[ ]*([^ ].*)$") (string-match)"

It's a problem with the regex libraries: pregexp has a bug that
prevents it from recognizing "[-..]", but prefixing the dash with
"\\" doesn't work with libc regex (only pcre).
I'll fix that.

> (and, by the way, are the eggs available in darcs, or do you just
> upload new versions as they come?)

The latter. I used to have them in darcs, but I have trouble keeping
everything consistent (since there is now a separate upload tool).
So I'll go back to having the eggs in a local repository.