[Chicken-users] Re: Lightweight threads, etc. : Chicken vs. Gambit

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: Lightweight threads, etc. : Chicken vs. Gambit
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:31:43 +0200

On 7/31/05, Joel Reymont <address@hidden> wrote:

> How do the lightweight threads in Chicken compare to those of Gambit?

Chicken's threads are slower (about half the speed of Gambit in most
benchmarks), which is still orders of magnitude better than most other
languages (with the exception of Erlang) provide.

> Can Chicken continuations be serialized?

No. It's evil.

> How is the numerical performance of Chicken vs. Gambit?

On floating-point intensive arithmetic, Chicken can keep up with Gambit
(last time I tested), for fixnum-only code Gambit will be faster.
I haven't compared the performance of the numbers egg (bignums and
rationals) with other implementations yet.