Re: [Chicken-users] numbers egg slow?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] numbers egg slow?
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:40:00 +0200

On 9/29/05, Daishi Kato <address@hidden> wrote:

> It would be nice to have.  Are there any other procedures
> that are not supported by numbers egg?

All arithmetic operations should work with the extended number
types. Operations that involve indices (vector-ref, etc...) still
want fixnums, but that's acceptable according to R5RS.

> BTW, I felt the use of numbers egg made the execution slow,
> even if it's just a fixnum calculation. Is is an expected feature?

Using numbers is definitely slower, since there is more dispatching
overhead on number types. The base system only has two numeric
types, which makes a type-check quite fast. The numbers egg has
to check for more possible types (and all these tests are implemented
in Scheme).