Re: [Chicken-users] libcurl?

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] libcurl?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:42:32 -0000

Am 28.09.2005, 17:26 Uhr, schrieb Thomas Chust <address@hidden>:

Am 28.09.2005, 16:17 Uhr, schrieb Graham Fawcett
<address@hidden>:

Hi folks,

I'd like to be able to fetch data from an HTTPS url. I don't see this
capability within the existing Chicken eggs. A libcurl binding for
chicken would probably be the most expedient route.
[...]

Hello,

I'm sorry I can't offer a ready-made binding ;) But instead of binding to
libcurl wouldn't it be nicer to program some convenient interface to
OpenSSL instead -- best something very similar to the existing tcp
interface, just like the API available in PLT Scheme for example -- and
adapt other existing eggs, for example the http egg, to support it?
[...]

Hello everybody,

I have started work on CHICKEN -> OpenSSL SSL/TLS library bindings. I think it will be possible indeed to keep the interface largely compatible to the PLT Scheme openssl unit.

I will have to duplicate a whole bunch of code from CHICKEN's tcp unit, though. It's just a matter of copy and paste, but my question to Felix is, whether it wouldn't perhaps make sense to export all the ##net#... bindings from that unit, so that I could use them?

On I sidenote, I also found this comment
        ";; PLT makes this an optional arg to tcp-listen. Should we as well?"
in tcp.scm, pertaining to the SO_REUSEADDR feature of sockets. My answer to this question would be yes ;)

cu,
Thomas