Re: [Chicken-users] CMake testing

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake testing
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:52:18 -0700

I will give cmake a shot on VC++ and MinGW, but for the next 2 weeks I'm crazy busy with a short-term job. Things will return to sanity after November 8th.

Graham Fawcett wrote:

Running `cmake -G "NMake Makefiles"` didn't Just Work. I used
cmakesetup.exe, which is a GUI for writing a configuration cache.
Before running this, I had to add the MSVC toolchain to my PATH. I
don't normally have them on PATH; and without them, cmakesetup
wouldn't work properly. IOW, you cannot just run cmakesetup from the
Start..Programs menu unless you have your tools on the PATH.
In Windows-land, generally the programmer has to take responsibility for running vcvars32.bat to get the command line path, include, and lib variables set up correctly. No harm in reminding the Windows programmer of this in a README, however.

Note that
`cmake -G "NMake Makefiles"` did not work even when my tools were on
the path.
How about after running vcvars32.bat?

Testing the built binaries: csi and csc worked fine. Chicken_setup
worked, but this is MSVC-land, and the lack of gzip et. al. means that
chicken_setup usually fails to build anything. (These GNU-toolchain
dependencies are something I would *love* to see fixed for the MSVC
platform, if I had my two cents, or enough time to tackle it!).
Do you mean a gzip.exe or a gzip library? The former is available with a bit of hunting around, for instance http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ The latter, I'm fuzzy about.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
   (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)