[Chicken-users] cmake doesn't have #defines

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] cmake doesn't have #defines
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:19:19 -0800

I am noticing that throughout the source pool, there are #defines meant for the autoconf toolchain, like
HAVE_CONFIG_H
_MSC_VER
C_WINDOWS_DLL
and so forth and so on. When I do 'cmake -G "Visual Studio .Net 2003"' I get .sln files, but they don't have these symbols #defined. There's no reason they would: cmake is not a drop-in replacement for autoconf. It merely performs the same task more portably, in its own way. Consequently, there is significant work to be done to ensure cmake is setting appropriate #defines before declaring that the new tarball supports cmake. The work as it stands would probably be best described as pre-alpha quality.

The cmake builds have yet to work for me, and I do have healthy MinGW, retail VS7.1, VCToolkit, and Cygwin environments. If they have ever worked for anybody, it's probably because they ran ./configure first, then cmake, and thereby got the needed #defines. That pretty much defeats the purpose of cmake. I'm happy to go up the learning curve of what needs to be done to put things right, but I wanted to clarify where things are actually at now. We've seen that cmake is easy to get started with, but we have more of a learning curve to go up.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                         - anonymous entrepreneur