Re: [Chicken-users] Up-to-date Chicken packages for Debian Sarge availab

From: Arto Bendiken
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Up-to-date Chicken packages for Debian Sarge available
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:27:55 +0100

On 1/27/06, Peter Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have compiled a number of Adamantix packages for Debian Sarge. This
> includes Chicken 2.216 (which is available as 2.2.2) and more than 130 eggs
> in the form of Debian packages. Thanks to apt-get this means: Proper
> dependencies, easy installation/deinstallation and easy updates.

Hi Peter,

Talk about good timing: I was just gnashing my teeth about the
necessity to install a compiler toolchain etc. to get an up-to-date
version of Chicken installed on a Sarge server. Your packages
installed perfectly and saved me the headache, thanks!

I did have to change the APT::Default-Release setting from "stable" to
"sarge" (in apt.conf) before aptitude could see your packages instead
of the Sarge default versions. Simple enough, but possibly something
that can be prevented on your end? (Symlinking a stable directory to
sarge, or similar means? I don't know enough about APT to discern the
cause of this.)

The packages probably work on Ubuntu Linux as well; will test when I
get a chance. If somebody beats me to it, information on submitting
Ubuntu packages can be found at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

Again, thanks.

--
Arto Bendiken