Re: [Chicken-users] Windows build status

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Windows build status
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:18:56 -0800

Patrick Brannan wrote:
Brandon,

Do you mean that it works for you with MinGw/MSys? Do you use the latest version of CMake?

I guess what I am getting at is that it does not work for me. I once had it working, but on my new laptop it does not. It's driving me nuts. I can't even build with the vc toolkit as I did before. Everything compiles, but nothing runs. So I must have a library mixup.

So if you could send along some info like what mingw version, what msys version, what cmake version and a dump of you environment variables, then I could try to figure out how my system is broken. If I figure it out I will post back to the list.

In a burst of energy yesterday, I got a "how to build with CMake" document mostly done. But it is not quite finished, because I used the MinGW 5.0.0 downloader / installer for my MinGW installation, and using that, chicken.exe turns into complete buggy crap. I think MinGW 5.0.0 is a bad compiler setup. I still need to download another MinGW version and see if that fixes the problem. My old MinGW setup on my old OS installation does work, so I know the problem is environmental rather than CMakeLists.txt itself. I still need to download a new MinGW, install it, and try the build again though. Should have it all done in maybe 4 hours, sooner if I'm lucky. So stay tuned.

I would also like to know how you are testing Chicken to prove that it is "working." I don't really have or know of a testing suite, and my experience with Chicken is still pretty minimal. So I'd be interested to know what you consider a valid stress test of it.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Thanks,

Pat

On 2/1/06, *Brandon J. Van Every* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Patrick Brannan wrote:
    > Does anyone know what status of cmake, mingw,  and building on
    Windows
    > in general? I picked up the latest chicken archive, 2.216, and the
    > only thing that works is the batch file. I guess as long as it
    works
    > that is good enough, but for some reason I seem to be longing
    for more
    > complication... At one time I had a CMakeLists.txt file that worked
    > with the VC Toolkit, but whatever is in there now does not.
    The Darcs source repository should have a version of
    CMakeLists.txt that
    works.  I gave my own version of this file to Felix a few weeks
    ago.  I
    apologize that I haven't coughed up any decent documentation on this.
    I've been lazy.

    Cheers,
    Brandon Van Every