Re: [Chicken-users] purpose of dynamic Chicken libraries?

From: Patrick Brannan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] purpose of dynamic Chicken libraries?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:00:32 -0600

Brandon,

I have given this some thought and I have come to the conclusion that having chicken.dll and dynamic chicken.exe doesn't matter too much. Now, that isn't the same as saying that I don't need to be able to create dll's that can be loaded by other applications.

One of my original uses of chicken was to build a dll that was loaded by a WTL (windows c++ gui framework) application. The basic idea worked fine though I never finished the project.

But I guess that I could always have linked to a static library. So in the end maybe I would agree with your buddy for this case. And having a single exe, large though it may be, eliminates a lot of potential problems.

But what about eggs and csi? If we don't have functioning dynamic libraries will we have to rebuild csi every time we want to load a new library in csi? Back when I actually had chicken working on windows the egg system worked pretty well using dlls.

Pat