Re: [Chicken-users] Optional sqlite3 egg update

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Optional sqlite3 egg update
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:30:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, JörgF. Wittenberger wrote:

Am Dienstag, den 07.03.2006, 14:51 +0000 schrieb Thomas Chust:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, JörgF. Wittenberger wrote:
actually I must admit that I haven't used the SQLite3 egg for a real
multithreaded application so far. Nevertheless I have done some testing,
which suggests that everything works fine and the program stays responsive
under normal circumstances because the SQLite3 logic is indeed very fast
and in case a user defined function runs very long, the CHICKEN scheduler
does switch to other threads in the meantime.

That's what I haven't been able to locate in the source code.  And that
was what I wanted to learn how it could be done.

Hello,

the CHICKEN scheduler seems to be operational in Scheme callbacks automatically. I was positively surprised by that because I was already scratching my head about how to force some thread yielding mechanism into the callbacks.

[...]
I definitely think that the scheme would be hard to implement for CHICKEN,
whose C API is not reentrant.

There would have to be exactly one call, which other threads call call
to signal the chicken thread about events.  I don't know whether chicken
already has such a thing.  Do you?

I don't know about any such thing. But maybe one could get away with a status variable and a little hack in the CHICKEN scheduler to check that variable.

[...]

cu,
Thomas