Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: john
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:57:24 +0100

My packedobjects egg attempts to provide a simple way to express a subset of ASN.1 using an s-expr and then encode it using the unaligned variant of Packed Encoding Rules. It is not a general purpose encoding technique though as it meant for applications which benefit from tightly packed binary protocols.

I like the dynamic nature of using an s-expr over using an ASN.1 compiler. It allows me to hack network protocols on my Sharp Zaurus without the hassle of having to cross compile.

John.

On 25/04/06, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
Shawn Rutledge scripsit:

> At work I came up with a binary format that is portable, and allows
> you to store the same kind of structures as you would express in XML
> (trees of name-value pairs),  [...]

In that case you might as well use ASN.1, which has the advantage of
being an international standard with multiple data representations
available (including a textual one).  IMHO there is little point in
concocting yet another binary representation of XML.