Re: [Chicken-users] Re: photo album in chicken

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: photo album in chicken
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 07:59:49 -0700

On Apr 30, 2006, at 10:59 PM, Peter Busser wrote:

Hi!

<snip>

Imlib:destroy:
I think auto-destroy of garbage images would be really nice. When
working in scheme you definitely forget managing resources. May be if
it were C I would think of imlib:destroy but with scheme it never
occured to me that I might need to do that. I just thought it would be
marked as garbage and collected when the image was out of scope.

Is it possible to call a C function when data is destroyed during
garbage collection? In that case, one could create a Scheme type which
encapsulates the pointer to the Imlib data. Whenchi an object of that type
is destroyed, the hook can be called, which in turn frees the C data.

Yes, the machinery for the above exists. It just wasn't used.

Groetjes,
Peter.