[Chicken-users] Thank you for Chicken! :)

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: [Chicken-users] Thank you for Chicken! :)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:33:30 -0500

Hey, Felix.

I just wanted, once again, to thank you for your great work in making
Chicken!  To me it is one of the most important software packages,
—perhaps the most important—, I use.  I've grown very dependant on
it for my information needs.

I have continued to improve svnwiki, these days it supports a lot of
useful things.  These are just a few examples of some interesting (in
my opinion) things it does:

* Users can tag articles and browse things by tag:
    http://bogowiki.org/xsvnwiki-tags/xsvnwiki-default

* It generates PDF files for articles:
    http://bogowiki.org/bogotanismos.pdf

* It keeps track of which pages link where.  On each page, it shows
  pages linking to it (eg. see http://bogowiki.org/carrera%207, search
  for "Pages linking here").

I also wrote a simple set of tools to generate and work with Sudoku
puzzles.  You can see it at work here:

  https://cgi.afc.no-ip.info/sudoku/

I have also been writing an AJAX application for image galleries.
Right now it is rather incomplete (things like the Back button or the
URL bar aren't working; there is no web interface for publishing new
photos, etc.) but is usable.  You can see an example here:

  https://cgi.afc.no-ip.info/dig.cgi/

I have some ideas about making it possible for different instalations
of the galleries to synchronize the metadata of images so a visitor to
my installation will not only see my images but also those of my
friends.  I wrote about these ideas some time ago here:

  http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/posts/Disaggregated%20Internet%20Gallery.html

By the way (now that I link to my weblog), I also generate my weblog
with code executed by Chicken.  I called the program I use “svnblog”,
since, —just like wiki information for svnwiki—, the contents for
the weblog live inside a Subversion repository.  I write my posts in
wiki format, commit to a repository and svnblog updates the HTML
files.

I've also improved the plots of activities for Subversion
repositories.  As you might know, I'm constantly updating the stats
for the repository with Chicken's eggs in the following URL.  As you
can see, it shows far more information these days than it did
originally.

  http://freaks-unidos.net/svn-graph/chicken-eggs/

Anyway, these are just a few examples to show the extent to which I've
become dependant on Chicken.  Working with it has been a great
pleasure and I strongly recommend it.

So, as I said, thank you for your great work!  It has, as you can see,
made my life easier.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/