Re: Documentation (was Re: [Chicken-users] How to use prelude?)

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: Re: Documentation (was Re: [Chicken-users] How to use prelude?)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:23:37 -0400

On 5/29/06, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
On 5/29/06, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was just thinking about what's happening now in the Python
> community. A well-known Python developer dumped all of the official
> documentation into a Wiki / content management system, and the
> community is busy filling in gaps, and adding new information. I
> realize that the Python community is a a few orders of magnitude
> larger than Chicken's, but perhaps opening up the docs for community
> editing might alleviate the burden from Felix and the core developers?

Actually, Alejandro suggested this already - there is an unofficial manual:

http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/chicken%20scheme%20manual

This is a great idea. I'll go read everything at Alejandro's site ;-)
and see if I can contribute anything.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with this. There is just one catch: I don't
want to maintain two versions of the manual, and we definitely need something
that can be installed locally. Personally, I would suggest that we use
http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/coop, since it's internal format can be converted
relatively easily to/from other formats. What we need is a texi generator.
(any volunteers?)

I'll volunteer a few cycles, though I don't use streams and I know
Alejandro is fond of them, hope that's not a barrier to entry. :-)
I'll need to brush up on my texinfo, though, it's been a while.

Graham