Re: [Chicken-users] depreciating CHICKEN_HOME

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] depreciating CHICKEN_HOME
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 22:30:44 +0200

On 6/9/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
Is the msvc vcbuild.bat version of Chicken the only one that relies on
CHICKEN_HOME?  If so, I suggest it be depreciated for all other
installations.  If we've gone to the trouble of hardwiring a bunch of
directories for csc.exe, I don't see why CHICKEN_HOME should have the
right to mess them up.  Unless I'm missing something about how
CHICKEN_HOME is actually used by people.  In the sources, it looks like
a hack to allow vcbuild.bat to install in a flat directory when everyone
else has a hierarchical directory structure.

Sorry, I can't follow this at all: vcbuild.bat doesn't use CHICKEN_HOME,
also makefile.vc doesn't. For Windows platforms built via makefile.vc, csc.scm
uses CHICKEN_HOME, as this seems to be the only decent way of specifiying an
installation destination. If you do it through cmake, we can (and should) change
csc.scm.in to use the configured destination instead of CHICKEN_HOME.

(felix)