[Chicken-users] Chicken 2.41 tarball on Cygwin doesn't handle whitespace

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Chicken 2.41 tarball on Cygwin doesn't handle whitespace in pathnames
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:10:36 -0700

I compiled the Chicken 2.14 tarball in order to see what pathnames it outputs to chicken-defaults.h, and also whether the build would succeed. I specified ./configure --prefix="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/cygchicken" to see if it could handle unescaped whitespace in the pathname. It doesn't; the build succeeds, but "make install" dies with an error of:

Brandon J. Van address@hidden ~/cygwin/chicken-2.41
$ make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/devel/cygwin/chicken-2.41'
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /cygdrive/c/Program Files/cygchicken/lib
mkdir -p -- /cygdrive/c/Program Files/cygchicken/lib
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c libchicken.la /cygdrive/c
/Program Files/cygchicken/lib/libchicken.la
libtool: install: `Files/cygchicken/lib/libchicken.la' is not a directory
Try `libtool --help --mode=install' for more information.
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c libuchicken.la /cygdrive/
c/Program Files/cygchicken/lib/libuchicken.la
libtool: install: `Files/cygchicken/lib/libuchicken.la' is not a directory
Try `libtool --help --mode=install' for more information.
make[1]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/devel/cygwin/chicken-2.41'
make: *** [install-am] Error 2

I believe Chicken contains no support for whitespace in pathnames. Cygwin is the only "known good" ./configure build on Windows. ./configure with MinGW + MSYS dies on the ever-incorrect posixunix.c. MSVC built with makefile.vc has different internal handling: it does not define C_USE_C_DEFAULTS, does not use chicken-defaults.h, and relies on the CHICKEN_HOME environment variable for path information. So, I don't see that this has ever worked for anyone, or could have worked. Rather, the problem has been avoided. Relying on the Cygwin environment is one way to avoid it, and relying on CHICKEN_HOME is another.

I know Felix checked something in the other week, pertaining to pathname issues. But in practice, I don't see that anyone has tested the whitespace, or could have tested it.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every