Re: [Chicken-users] Fuse - (Re: Writing Linux kernel code in Scheme?)

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Fuse - (Re: Writing Linux kernel code in Scheme?)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:17:30 +0200

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:21:09PM -0700, Matthew Welland wrote:

Hello Matthew,

> It isn't a kernel interface but perhaps of interest along similar lines fuse
> (file system in user space for Linux) has a scheme (stklos) interface.
>
> http://www.stklos.org/extensions.html

Thanks! That one is interesting but unfortunately not usable for four
reasons.

First, it does not allow to access kernel structures. Second, it is slow
because for every request two very expensive (compared to direct function
calls) context switches must be made. Third, it only exposes the kernel VFS
layer interface (which I don't intend to use). Fourth, it could easily
result in endless loops or (less likely) deadlocks.

But it would be cool to port this module to Chicken and to make an egg
of it.

Groetjes,
Peter.