Re: Quality Assurance (Was: Re: [Chicken-users] MORE EGGS!)

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: Quality Assurance (Was: Re: [Chicken-users] MORE EGGS!)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:21:38 -0800

Peter Busser wrote:
Hi!

Since quality of maintenance is what's worth rating, how about the old
bugaboo of automated nightly testing?

If we are talking about serious quality assurance here, then I would
prefer to have a test run before software is uploaded and not every
night. Only that prevents the uploading of broken software. Nightly
tests do not prevent broken software from being uploaded, they only
detect it.

The software could be uploaded to an intermediate server, and not made available / be published until it passes various tests.  Of course, the software will only be as good as its tests.  This implies a maintenance burden on someone's part, to keep improving the tests.  So the question is, who is willing to do all this infrastructure development and testing work?  I'm willing to contribute, particularly in the area of CMake dashboard testing since the support is already there for the Chicken build itself.  But, I don't want to be the lead / heavy lifter guy on this stuff.  I have not gotten any game development done in the past year, and I need to concentrate on my 1st priorities.

Even better would be to run tests during each check-in of changes in the
baseline, just like Aegis does (http://aegis.sourceforge.net/).

Any technology is accepted if there's a person who does the work...

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every