[Chicken-users] New user; egg problems

From: Richard Lewis
Subject: [Chicken-users] New user; egg problems
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:35:39 +0000

Hello CHICKEN users,

I'm new both to chicken scheme and, in fact, to scheme itself. I was attracted
to chicken as soon as I saw that it had a very simple module management
system.

I have experienced a few problems with installing some of the eggs though. It
seems that two important eggs (i.e. ones with quite a few dependents) won't
install correctly: easyffi and base64.

aquila:/home/richard# chicken-setup easyffi
  /usr/bin/csc -feature compiling-extension -s -O2 -d0 easyffi.scm -G
csc: invalid option `-G'
make: Failed to make easyffi.so: shell invocation failed with non-zero return
status
Error: shell invocation failed with non-zero return status
"/usr/bin/csc -feature compiling-extension -s -O2 -d0 easyffi.scm -G"
64

and

aquila:/home/richard# chicken-setup base64
  /usr/bin/csc -feature compiling-extension -s -O2 -d1
base64.scm -emit-exports base64.exports
csc: invalid option `-emit-exports'
Error: shell invocation failed with non-zero return status
"/usr/bin/csc -feature compiling-extension -s -O2 -d1
base64.scm -emit-exports ...
64

My system is Debian "unstable" with chicken 2.3

I hope its just something really simple!

Also, I notice that it leaves the egg file and an associated directory in the
directory where I run chicken-setup. Is it alright to delete these
afterwards?

(BTW, my jabber id predates not only my decision to try chicken scheme but
also my awareness of its existence!)

Cheers,
Richard
--