Re: [Chicken-users] Rough proposal for contracts in Chicken

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Rough proposal for contracts in Chicken
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:20:21 +0100

On 12/19/06, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

I've read over the PLT Scheme approach, and I think I see how it can be
adapted to Chicken.  Basically, the syntax of the export declaration is
extended to provide per-procedure argument and result checking, and a
new declaration is added to provide module invariants.

Here another proposal, slightly more thought out than my last one:

(contracted
 (export ((plus number? number?) -> number?)
            ((plus/all number? #!rest (list-of number?)) -> number?)
            ((exact->div0+mod0 exact? exact?) -> exact? exact?) )
 (invariant (= 0 (length local-stack)))
 (define (plus ...) ...)
 ...)

This is effectively a module that expands into a set of "defines",
and a local scope with the real code, sth along these lines:

(begin
 (define plus (void))
 (define plus/all (void))
 (define exact->div0+mod0 (void))
 (let ((vals
         (let ()
            (define (invariant1 . vals)
              (assert (= 0 (length local-stack)))
              (apply values vals) )
            (define (plus x y) ...)
            (define (plus/all x . more) ...)
            (define (exact->div0+mod0 a b) ...)
            (vector
              (lambda (x y)
                (call-with-values
                  (lambda ()
                    (plus (ensure exact? x) (ensure exact? y)) )
                  invariant1) )
              ...))))
    (set! plus (vector-ref vals 0))
    ...) )

The vector-stuff is just to pass the internal definitions outwards
to the toplevel or outer-level scope. DSSSL lambda-lists should
be supported and also nicely handle the problem of the ambiguous
rest-argument case. The code is naturally pretty slow, but adding
cond-expand forms to the expansion that lets one switch off the
checks shouldn't be too hard. The same goes for unsafe mode.
For syntax-case, this could actually expand into an anonymous
module.
Putting everything into an enclosing form may not meet anyones
taste, but simplifies the implementation.