Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 12:52:11 +0100

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 01:15:08PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> But the clear disadvantage is it's only applicable to Debian systems.
> Still, I'll wager that nobody has a problem with what you're up to!

If you would like a completely portable packaging system, you could have
a look at pkgsrc (www.pkgsrc.org).  This started out as a fork from
FreeBSD's ports, but it evolved into a packaging system that works on
a whole variety of systems.  It is the native packaging system for NetBSD
and DragonflyBSD, and many Solaris users also use it as an additional
packaging system.  It's also great for managing Unix applications under
OS X (I used it when I still used OS X) and I hear it even works under
Windows.  Of course, it also works under Linux (many Slackware users
prefer it over Slackware's rather weak package manager)

Anyobody can get started building packages for pkgsrc.  Have a look at
http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net, this is sort of like a "testing ground"
everybody can get access to.  Of course, the quality of these packages
varies greatly, and is often below the quality of "proper" pkgsrc packages.
Packages that are found to be of good quality are integrated in the
pkgsrc mainline.

Regards,
Peter
--