Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: minh thu
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:03:54 +0100

Hi all,

[snip]
If I had a simple, GUI toolkit running on Linux, OS X and Windows, binds
native widgets, has a simple basic graphics API (OpenGL would be ideal),
is smaller than 1-2 MB,
provides text-editing (multiline), buttons, images, frames, checkboxes,
and a couple more widgets, simple menus, then I'd be happy.

About the API. You'd like to go opengl-style, right (stateful or
stateless ?) ? What about a xhtml/css/javascript style ? I mean, of
course, everything in Scheme but with content/presentation/logic
separated... Otherwise, it would be the classical event-based (with
callbacks) mechanism ? I wonder what other means could be used.

Maybe some kind of message passing instead of function calling ? (any
idea of gui toolkit for erlang ?) Or some kind of spreadcheet-like (I
think to phooey in haskell or cello in common lisp).

Sorry, I understand the goal is to be practical and cheap for the time
and effort of the community :)

Cheers,
thu