Re : [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: minh thu
Subject: Re : [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:05:05 +0100

2007/2/7, Daniel Sadilek <address@hidden>:
> Fully understandable, but Qt is big and I fear that a complete wrapper
> will end up as a huge lump that has continuously be maintained (to stay
> complete). The qt egg is explicitly meant as a lightweight facility for
> exploiting the meta-object protocol of Qt - sort of an experiment (but
> still quite useful).

Hm, I think a "cross-platform gui toolkit" is a big thing anyway?

I think not exactly. I see it this way.
- a Scheme interface (i.e. an API) is designed. This api is meant to
provide things that we know will be available in most GUIs.
- the interface is implemented in a number of way. It could be from
scratch, on Qt, whatever.

The first point is a matter of careful examinations, and then choices.
The second one, especially the 'number' word, is what makes Felix's
idea practical and your statement semi-valid : the implementations can
be made as they're needed, or as people have time to provide one more.

Take the example of the SAX API. It's provided in a lot of languages.
Or I see from time to time GUI that are designed following Java's SWT.

Furthermore, if the API is designed to do it, you could provide more
widgets (is there anything else ?) (either in a specific imlementation
or as an additional extension for a specific implementation).

Cheers,
thu