Re: [Chicken-users] A Proposal for Texinfo Reference Manual, was: Re: Ch

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A Proposal for Texinfo Reference Manual, was: Re: Chicken manual in Texinfo format
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 22:35:07 -0400

On 5/21/07, Adhi Hargo <address@hidden> wrote:
THE PROPOSAL:

Important point first: I propose, in the long run, to
spare the wiki for tutorials, introductions,
cookbooks, FAQs, installation problem, or anything
else any casual user could confidently contribute, and
let the maintainer or at least experienced programmers
(a number of you, I suppose) do the real manual in
Texinfo.

Wikis are for getting a community to gradually document stuff over time.  Making people learn Texinfo isn't.  Documentation is most programmers' least favorite thing to do, and they're not gonna do it.  I believe the wiki needs to remain the primary source of documentation, with Texinfo a secondary format, if people want to put effort into that.

Why?

(1) Because I've seen this unfold in the CMake community.  It's a much larger community, and yet very important stuff never gets documented, unless *I personally* go and add things.  I don't have any particular responsibility for documentation.  I just get really irked at documentation which cripples people, and I'm one of the few who will actually do something about it.  Even I do very little.  If lotsa people would do what I do, then CMake would have great documentation, but they don't.

(2) Because Texinfo isn't relevant to all developers.  The reality is there's an Emacs crowd, a Visual Studio crowd, an Eclipse crowd, and various other crowds.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every