Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:34:42 +0300

Thanks Arto.

Also, the existing FUSE bindings for Ruby and Python appear to have
achieved stability on a number of platforms and may be worth looking
at for tips and tricks.

I'm not so sure about that. I distinctly remember it was a bitch to compile a Python-based filesystem (something along the lines of "the old bindings are no longer valid, the new ones rely on the unstable devel branch of fuse").

But I'd like to invite everyone who has a bit of time to look at the end of /usr/include/fuse/fuse.h and fuse_common.h (the "compatibility" macro mess). Fuse uses tricks like

int func (int);

#if API_VERSION == 22
#define func compat_func22
#endif

(where of course compat_func22 has a different number of arguments). This really doesn't work with SWIG, as SWIG only considers the first declaration and doesn't do anything with the #define. Why the Fuse people felt it was a good ideea to use this hack, and to constantly change the signature of various functions, I don't know.

I also don't know what a good solution would be, given the constantly shifting Fuse API and its un-swiggable nature. I'm open to input.

Cheers,
Dan