Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:21:08 -0400

Peter Bex scripsit:

> > No. I'm surprised you've never run across the "source" or "." commands,
> > they're fairly common. They execute execute scripts in the current shell
> > (as opposed to spawning a new shell process). They're essential when you
> > want a script to modify the environment of the current shell (e.g. set
> > some shell variables, like the /etc/profile.d/* series). In my case
> > though I was just micro-optimizing.
>
> Never mind, that was just a brainfart.  Looks like POSIX doesn't have
> a way to do this?  Weird!

Au contraire.  IEEE Std 1003.1:2004, aka SUS3,
documents the dot (".")  command; the man page is online at
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/dot.html .
Indeed, dot has been around since the V7 Bourne shell; "source",
on the other hand, comes from the Berkeley side of the Force.

--
The first thing you learn in a lawin' family    John Cowan
is that there ain't no definite answers         address@hidden