Re: [Chicken-users] Fwd: Queinnec's Lisp in Small Pieces for CAN$3.95+sh

From: bryan rasmussen
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Fwd: Queinnec's Lisp in Small Pieces for CAN$3.95+shipping
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:43:45 +0200

hmm, I just saw a blog post on this in my lisp reading list:

http://spikeypillow.com/item/28/catid/4

"However, Amazon has cancelled the $4 orders for Lisp in Small Pieces,
along with several other books which were also priced at $4. The guy
from customer service I spoke to says they will be sending out mails
telling people about this later today. They claim there were "pricing
mistakes", (LISP is now priced at $94.40). Their pricing policy allows
them to cancel any orders which haven't shipped and were incorrectly
priced. So, no LISP for you!

I find the pricing mistake story suspect as I've seen how good
amazon's monitoring software is at predicting orders. And something as
anomalous as an obscure programming book outselling Harry Potter would
have raised alarm bells long before they repriced it.

This pricing mistake also applies to a couple of other books that were
selling for $4 around the same time:

Probability Theory : The Logic of Science by E. T. Jaynes, cancelled
due to pricing mistake
Numerical Methods of Statistics by John F. Monahan, cancelled due to
unavailability of stock.

"

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen