Re: [Chicken-users] Fink package for chicken

From: Sebastián González
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Fink package for chicken
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:05:38 +0200

On 21 Aug 2007, at 12:47, Peter Bex wrote:

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:44:35AM +0200, Sebasti?n Gonz?lez wrote:

As a side remark, I would propose to delete all those platforms for
which no package is available yet (SUSE, CentOS, Mac Binary, etc.).
There is no point in having such void entries.  They can all be
substituted by a kind of call for volunteers, "Contribution of
packages for BSD, CentOS, ... is sought and will be greatly
appreciated." - or something of the sort.

Chicken is also available on all those platforms through pkgsrc, the
cross-platform packaging system that's used as the native system by
NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD.

How should this be added to the list?  It's not really correct to
put it under 'BSD', since pkgsrc also works on Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD,
MacOS X and I think even under Windows with Cygwin or Interix (Windows
Services for Unix).

If pkgsrc is native to those two BSDs, I would suggest creating two explicit entries for them. An additional section "Other platforms" can be created where the possibility of using pkgsrc is mentioned.

Regards,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx