Re: Static eggs query (was Re: [Chicken-users] ok my first egg is ready)

From: naruto canada
Subject: Re: Static eggs query (was Re: [Chicken-users] ok my first egg is ready)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:58:28 +0000

On 11/6/07, Peter Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Using Naruto's predicate-calculus egg as a test (thanks, Naruto :)), I
> modified the predicate-calculus.setup as described in the above link
> (patch attached) and rebuilt/reinstalled it - then made a trivial test
> program:
>
> ---------------- pct.scm --------------------------------------------
> (declare (uses predicate-calculus))
> (begin
>   (display "This is a static-linking test.")
>   (newline)
>   (write (clausal-form '(all x (all y (=> (P x y) (Q x y))))))
>   (newline)
>   (display "The above line should show \"(((not (P ?x10 ?x11)) (Q ?x10
> ?x11)))\".")
>   (newline))
> ---------------- pct.scm --------------------------------------------
>
> I managed to build a standalone executable like so (using '$' to
> indicate a shell prompt):
>
> $ csc -c++ -static-extensions -c pct.scm
> $ csc -c++ -static-libs pct.o /usr/local/lib/chicken/3/predicate-calculus.o
> -o pct
>
> (though the -static-libs wasn't necessary just to link the extension
> statically, of course)
>
> Anyway, the upshot is that I have two questions. If anyone can suggest
> an answer (or two), that'd be good :-).
>
> First - is there a "nicer" way to build a Chicken app with
> statically-linked extensions?
>
> To clarify, I mean that I couldn't figure out a way to build a working
> pct without explicitly including
> /usr/local/lib/chicken/3/predicate-calculus.o
> in the link phase (see above).
>
> Is there a way to avoid this? The chicken-setup link above suggests
> that it could be done like the below, but this doesn't work:
>
> $ csc -static-extensions pct.scm -uses predicate-calculus
> pct.o: In function `f_26':
> pct.c:(.text+0x5cc): undefined reference to `C_predicate_calculus_toplevel'
> pct.o: In function `f_23':
> pct.c:(.text+0x643): undefined reference to `C_predicate_calculus_toplevel'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Shell command terminated with exit status 1: gcc pct.o -o pct
> -L/usr/local/lib  -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -lm -ldl -lchicken
> $
>
> This doesn't really matter a _great_ deal - I can explicitly link the
> extension .o files in the final link phase without too much effort - I
> just feel that it should be something the compiler can work out for me.
> Maybe. :)
>

> Second question (or perhaps a group of questions) - does anyone have
> any idea how many of the 348 or so Chicken eggs are set up for static
> linking? The link I mentioned above states:
>
>   If you require a statically linkable version of an egg that has not been
>   converted yet, contact the extension author or the CHICKEN mailing list.
>
> Is there a Grand Plan(tm) to convert existing eggs for static linking?
> It looks like the process should be pretty straightforward, but just
> hasn't been done yet for some (many? most? all?) eggs.

There are three steps to solve your problem completely.
First step is to simply recreate all the eggs' ".setup" file to
simultaneously build both ".so" and ".o".

address@hidden: /root/t  cat predicate-calculus.setup
(compile -s -O2 -d1 predicate-calculus.scm)
(compile -c -O2 -d1 predicate-calculus.scm -unit predicate-calculus)
(install-extension
  `("predicate-calculus.o" "predicate-calculus.so" "predicate-calculus.html")

Second step is simply left a choice for the person who wants static
lib to do like this:

ar rv liball.a /usr/lib/chicken/3/*.o
csc -c++ -static-extensions -c pct.scm
csc -c++ -static -static-libs pct.o -o pct -lall -L.

Third step requires that egg tutorial be amended to instruct future
egg writer to create both ".so" and ".o" in their ".setup" file.

Thanks.