Re: [Chicken-users] help with intermittent crash (?)

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] help with intermittent crash (?)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:32:10 +0100

Hi, Rick!

In the moment I'm pretty clueless about what might go wrong here,
but I can give you a few tips that perhaps help us find the cause of
this trouble:

- Is storage consumption constant (top(1)) over a longer run?
- Try to run with a fixed heap ("-:h..." runtime options, enter "-:?"
  to see a list)
- Try to run with different stack-sizes. The stack-allocation pattern
  of an application will greatly influence the frequency and point of
  GCs taking place, so sometimes changing the stack size ("-:s")
  will change the pattern and make it easier to reproduce the
  crash.
- Build with debugging options (-g), we will have to go there anyway
  at some stage... At least we can poke around. We also want to
  reproduce the bug with debugging turned on.
- Use a custom built chicken for this, probably the latest trunk, so
  we have the same environment when we start debugging.
- Can you try on a different environment? Linux?

(if your app is embedded, you have to set the heap- and/or stack-size
via CHICKEN_initialize() of course. Fixing the heap size should be possible
by setting C_heap_size_is_fixed to 1).

Those recursive invocations of C_rereclaim look wrong. But possibly
the stack trace is borked. We have to disable optimizations.

Sorry, this is not much, but I need more info.