Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:22:52 -0500

Thomas Christian Chust scripsit:

> I would deem it highly unlikely that the Carbon API will be deprecated
> any time soon: Cocoa is basically just an Objective-C  wrapper around
> Carbon and there is no good reason to rewrite it from scratch without a
> Carbon dependency.

Pieces of it are definitely deprecated, and Apple has said that they will
not be ported to 64-bit userland, so code relying on them will break.
Depending on how you interpret Apple's somewhat gnomic additional statements,
it may also be true that only the parts of Carbon on which Cocoa depends
will be available, and then perhaps only to Cocoa itself.

Of course, all this is 2007-vintage claims; we shall see what we shall see.

--
Work hard,                                      John Cowan
play hard,                                      address@hidden