Re: [Chicken-users] multiple values in chicken

From: Zbigniew
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] multiple values in chicken
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 01:40:22 -0600

On 2/1/08, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Zbigniew scripsit:
> > I ran Alex's test on a fast machine (Intel C2D 2GHz).
> > I got the same disparity as Alex.  I would be curious as to what
> > platform you're running on
> An ancient Dell Latitude D610 laptop running Ubuntu Gutsy.

You mentioned you had 15 major GCs while we both recorded 800-900.
I played around with the stack size to see if I could affect this.
As you can see time dropped significantly with larger stacks,
though I couldn't get it below 3 seconds (with a 4MB stack!!)

   time / gcs / stack
  43.105 1643  64k
  22.551  821  128k (default)
  15.611  547  256k
   8.701  273  512k
   5.252  136  1024k
   3.801  68   2048k
   2.941  34   4096k

But!  On my Linux box (old Athlon 1600) it was much faster
even with the default stack!

   time / gcs / stack
   3.992   7    128k (default)

This is a huge disparity and is worth investigating, unless one of the
master Chicken hackers can explain it right off the bat.