Re: [Chicken-users] critical-section not in Chicken 3?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] critical-section not in Chicken 3?
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:27:04 +0100

On Feb 5, 2008 8:11 PM, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008 1:11 PM, Kon Lovett <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Hi Graham,
> >

> > I don't know why Felix deprecated 'critical-section'. I to had a couple of
> uses for it.
> > ...You might want to ask the reason.
>

> Thanks, Kon. Felix, please consider it asked!

There were unreliable. The "disable-interrupts" declaration is subtle as
well (calling functions in compilation units not compiled with this
declaration will have interrupts enabled), but is needed for the
implementation.

<rant>
Threads are a mess. Threads break encapsulation. Even creating a
critical section might influence concurrently running threads with
tight timing constraints. Multithreading is in nearly all cases the modern
equivalent to spaghetti code. There are sometimes situations where
spawned threads are completely self-contained (like in a web-server),
but in most cases threads should be avoided.

IMHO.
</rant>