[Chicken-users] Compromise Hackathon Doc Proposal

From: Mark Fredrickson
Subject: [Chicken-users] Compromise Hackathon Doc Proposal
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:25:35 -0600

Hi all,

I still think focusing on documentation is still a good idea for a Hackathon goal, even if it has proven divisive. While I certainly have opinions on the subject, I'd like to propose a compromise to keep us moving forward.

1. Our primary focus is on updating documentation where it currently resides (wiki, svn, etc) in the format it currently uses. Getting the documentation that exists current is a big task as it is. Let's not worry about moving documentation just yet.

2. Where documentation is non-existent, give the person(s) working on the new documentation the right to choose the format. Again, let's focus on building the bikeshed, not the color.

3. Let's put any new functionality on the back burner, at least when talking about the Hackathon. Peter suggested this in his original proposal and I think it is a good idea. That said, I too would be interested in looking at literate programming options -- after the Hackathon. :-)

4. Let's try to dedicate some time to infrastructure improvements: Mario suggested expanding SVN wiki tags, it sounds like the *-commit hooks could use a refactoring, etc. As Zbigniew said, infrastructure lasts.

There are a lot of smart people on this list with good ideas. Like Ivan, I'm a Scheme fan for the wild-west aspect. I'm not tied to any programming paradigm. I can experiment with many styles. I think we should take a similar attitude towards our documentation. :-)

Yours in the public service,
-Mark