Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile and patches

From: Ashley
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile and patches
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:43:38 -0500

felix winkelmann wrote:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Ashley <address@hidden> wrote:

 The build runs on msys with no problems.  Tomorrow I plan to add
 a setup for cmd.exe, so a user only needs to have gnu make installed
 to build chicken for visual c.  That seems like a pretty low barrier
 for windows users.

Very good, Ashley. I'll integrate your stuff into the trunk ASAP.

Sounds great.  I have posted a new version of the patch (still against
the chicken-3.0.0 distribution) at:

http://tripolar-games.com/scheme/msvc-build.patch

if you don't mind grabbing that one.  In the future I'll work
against the repository sources.  The changes from the first version are:

- Used - instead of / for compiler and linker options.  I was doing
 this about half the time anyway, so I changed it for consistency and
 because my csc -cflags -ldflags -libs parser wants dashes :).
- The build now works with MSVC 2008 and should work with 2005.  Starting
 with 2005, the linker creates these ridiculous "manifest" files for
 any non-static target.  The manifests for the executables must reside
 in the same directory as the executable, so I modified the install,
 uninstall, and clean targets to handle them.  There is a post-linker
 tool that can embed them in the executable but I chose the simplest
 solution for now.

I've tested the changed build w/ MSVC 2003 and 2008, mingw-msys, cygwin,
and on linux.

thanks,

ashley