Re: [Chicken-users] TK eggs and unclear licensing status

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] TK eggs and unclear licensing status
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:05:56 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  While converting some more documentation to the wiki, I noticed something
>  weird:
>
>  * There's both a tk and a PS-tk egg.  Neither of these is marked deprecated.
>  * PS-tk seems to be a derivative of tk
>  * PS-tk has a BSD license, tk has some "Bremer License" I never heard of
>
>  Are these really so different that neither can be marked deprecated?  And
>  what's up with the license?  My German is not very good and I certainly
>  can't translate 7 pages of German legalese, but I doubt that this is
>  compatible with the simple 3-clause BSD license, so can PS-tk just change
>  the license like that?
>
>  To make matters worse, the original "scheme_wish" code upon which both
>  say they're based is for "noncommercial use only"
>  (according to a small note at http://pi7.fernuni-hagen.de/hartrumpf/)
>
>  Can someone please clear this up?

Sven Hartrumpf is the one to ask about scheme_wish, but I believe that
all three authors (Sven, Wolf-Dieter Busch and Nils Holm) were in
contact at one time or another, and, being german, are likely to have
taken all steps to ensure everything has been settled and licenced
correctly and legally waterproof.