Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: Robin Lee Powell
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:01:50 -0700

Replying to very old mail.  :)

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 12:25:54PM +0900, Alex Shinn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following up on trac ticket #258:
>
>  http://trac.callcc.org/ticket/258

Which is down right now, unfortunately.

> I'm considering changing the utf8 egg to no longer use syntax-case
> modules, so that it would work like the numbers egg.
>
> The way this would work is that, naturally, if you wanted to use
> utf8 semantics you'd just (use utf8), this time with no need for
> syntax-case and nothing to import.
>
> External modules, by default, would integrate standard string
> procedures and not be affected.  However, if you wanted to make an
> extension optionally work with utf8 semantics you could compile it
> with
>
>  (declare (not usual-integrations))
>
> or alternately
>
>  (declare (not usual-integrations string-ref string-set! ...))
>
> for all the utf8-specific string procedures.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I *really* don't like the idea of
having to manage my own personal versions of spiffy and all of its
dependencies just to get utf8 support.  That seems really
sub-optimal.

-Robin

--
Lojban Reason #17: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo