Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:35:56 +0900

    John> felix winkelmann scripsit:
    >> A real module system would solve all these problems
    >> cleanly.

    John> It wouldn't solve the data-punning problem.  As
    John> long as the same object can be seen one way by one
    John> module and another way by another, problems will
    John> continue to be endemic.  To fix that, we need two
    John> run-time types, which I hereby dub restricted and
    John> unrestricted strings.

Why do we need this?  That's not rhetorical, I'd like to
hear of any use cases where you think a problem could arise.

To me the bigger problem with a module-based solution is the
complete separation of all string processing modules into
those that are utf8-aware, and those that aren't.  A fork
which extends to other modules which use string-processing
modules, i.e. duplicate copies of most code.

--
Alex