Re: [Chicken-users] macro systems and chicken (long)

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] macro systems and chicken (long)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:09:19 -0400

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> DEFINE-MACRO is just EVAL.  Syntactic closures is just EVAL
> with the two extra env parameters, [...].

And as I believe I heard someone say on #scheme the other day, if your
program involves EVAL, it's probably broken.  Even if the EVAL is hidden
behind something else.

Et Alaric Snell-Pym scripsit:

> >In such a case I would write a compiler in Scheme directly,
> >using the run-time facilities rather than macros, and either
> >compile or interpret the result.
>
> But then it's not seamlessly and lightweightly integrated with the
> rest of your code; it's like the old days of compiling .c and .f
> and .s files into .os then linking them together to achieve multi-
> language programs...

Not really; it's more like adding a user pass to Chicken.

> I'm talking about things like macros that simplify matrix-algebraic
> expressions, unrolling things and using knowledge of matrix
> identities and so on, so you can write matrix arithmetic in a natural
> form yet have it automatically implemented efficiently, that sort of
> thing.

That's the sort of thing a front-end can do excellently, just by passing
on anything it doesn't recognize, like the pic | eqn | tbl | troff
pipeline.

--
John Cowan <address@hidden>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
It's like if you meet an really old, really rich guy covered in liver