Re: Chicken-setup redesign (was: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: getopt, getopt_

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: Chicken-setup redesign (was: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: getopt, getopt_long?)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:00:01 +0200

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

> To keep things simple, only one version of any egg can be loaded in one
> program at a time.

This not only simplifies but is absolutely crucial.

But there are many things that should be supported in a redesign:
we must try to simplify creating customized or personal repositories,
to access them locally (via file-system operations), to have the complete
metadata on the host machine and to keep cross-compilation in mind.
I would happily assist in the design, if that is acceptable (but I can
also keep
my mouth shut, no problem).

The most important part still is to keep old .setup scripts working, or
at least provide backwards-compatibility.