Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic egg PORT-A-MANIA!

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic egg PORT-A-MANIA!
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:23:38 +0200

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:

>> What has been dropped is the local documentation feature.
>
>  And generating online HTML documentation from an eggdoc script.

Now, that is still generated (by egg-post-commit). It is just not installed.

>> I can not remember that anybody ever used it
>
>  I use it for the majority of the eggs written and maintained by me.

Good to know.

>> and it is likely to be better to have a single place for maintaining
>> the documentation (the wiki). I agree that the wiki pages might not
>> meet everyones taste, but that's how we do documentation in the
>> moment.
>
>  You never asked anybody on this mailing list, you just decreed it
> without any regard for other people.

I guess that was a mistake, then. But saying "decreed it without regard
for other people" is something that I find rather unacceptable.

> Do you want to do that? I'd rather be writing new code and porting
>old code to the hygienic code, rather than messing around with
>CSS. The least amount of effort is to simply permit the generation of
>online HTML documentation from eggdoc scripts in the release/4 branch.

Having two different places for documentation is not right, IMHO.
One is editable and one is not, this will create skew, which is bad.
The default CSS can be improved, but in the end the content is
more important.

(I'm tempted to say here that I'd rather write new code and port stuff to
hygienic than to worry about the visual quality of the svnwiki css)

I consider the locally stored documentation a not too well thought out
ad-hoc measure and so would really like to find a more suitable
solution. On the other hand I was not aware that this was that important
to others and apologize for not asking. Please note that the current
setup-replacement is actively working for just a couple of days,
still being debugged and has not replaced chicken-setup (yet).