[Chicken-users] TCP and threads again

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: [Chicken-users] TCP and threads again
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:00:34 -0700

Experience confirms the unit TCP documentation which says that those
TCP socket operations do not block SRFI-18 threads, but what about
socket operations that occur via C code?  It would seem that they do
block threads.  I just ran into this when I tried to use my gps egg
(under development), which uses libgps to connect to gpsd, in an
application that has a UI.  After the SRFI-18 thread which polls for
GPS messages gets started, the UI event loop never even gets a chance
to start.  Makes me think the Chicken socket implementation must be
doing something special, not to block the threads.  Am I going to run
into the same thing with dbus?  I could use gypsy rather than gpsd
(because it has a dbus interface), but dbus comms are also done with
sockets.