Re: [Chicken-users] Don't modify other people's eggs

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Don't modify other people's eggs
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:13:21 +0100

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Alejandro Forero Cuervo
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm a bit annoyed to see that some eggs that I've created have been
> modified directly by other people (sometimes in ways that I'm not sure
> I would approve of) and new releases have been created by them (often
> without even updating the wiki's changelog).
>
> I would prefer to be sent patches and to remain in control of *my*
> eggs.  If others continue comitting to my eggs directly, I will be
> forced to fork them (my own original eggs!) and maintain them in a
> separate repository where only I and people I explicitly authorize can
> commit to them.  I, obviously, would prefer not to have to do this.
>
> As such, I would like to ask anybody with global commit access to the
> Chicken eggs repository to NEVER modify other people's eggs without
> consulting with them.  If there's an emergency and you feel you need
> to update the egg directly, you should at least drop a note to the
> original author.

I absolutely agree. Apart from obvious breakage
(syntax errors, etc.), extensions should be solely under the control
of the author (I admit that I'm often too eager to "fix" things. Sometimes
eggs that are dependencies of other extensions one is maintaining break,
in these cases it's often quite difficult to sit still).