Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:19:55 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 22.01.2009, 21:27 +0100 schrieb Peter Bex:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 03:01:30PM -0500, Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:
> > So, if you have to simulate features of the storage engine to get
> > compatibility, all you have to do is tell users that there are some
> > limitations
> > to it. Give them the information to choose for themselves. But, on the
> > other hand, if they end up growing significantly, and decide to switch
> > storage engines from ASCII files to Postgres, why should they have to do
> > any more than recompile/restart with a different connection parameter?

How about something like implementing callbacks from the sqlite vfs
http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/vfs.html
into chickens, which shall dispatch to the actual storage engine.  This
is a C-chicken-C call at least, OK.  But any block store will do, even a
remote file system.

No.  ball-chicken does not yet have that.  But it has a file system
alike interface in Scheme, driven from a WebDAV server.  I can't believe
is hard to close the gap.

BTW: if you find this particular idea appealing, please contact me in
private mail.  It might be possible to shell out some money for just
this one.  But that needs planning.

/Jörg